Tuesday, July 1, 2008

My Dirty Little Secret

If you ask my friends to use one word to describe me, the word that most often would come up would probably be "organized." It's true. I'm an organizer. However, as my daughter figured out and has so eloquently stated - I like to organize so much that I'm in a constant state of RE-organization. And that basically just leads to a pile of disorganization.


Yes, it's a dirty little secret that I like to keep to myself and almost all of my friends would probably be shocked.


Oh, for sure there are areas that are perfectly organized in my home - at least until I decide to reorganize them. However, one of those areas is NOT my desk.


I was the model of organization when I worked outside of the home. I once even had the president of the company stop by my desk and thank me for having such a neat desk. If only he could see me now. If he's not already dead, he probably would fall over and die right on the spot.


Since I left those days behind, it has been a constant struggle to find the motivation to maintain a neat desk at home. I worked from home for a few years and I do handle all of the "business" of our life, but I've done neither in the same orderly fashion that I brought to my working life and that I strive for in the rest of my home.


Long story short - my desk is a pit where things fall into and never come out. Hard to believe, I know, but I do have photo proof.



Right now, I'm working on a temporary desk in a temporary situation in the temporary space that will eventually be our home office. Therefore, some of my options are limited, but if I'm going to make the most of this small space and make sure that it is designed in a way that best meets our needs, I really need to know what those needs are.


So there you have it - my project of the month for July. File the filing, purge the junk, clean off the surface, and bring a sense of organization to our personal business.


If I were Vern, I would have fired me a long time ago.





1 Comment:

Brandy said...

Holy cow - your drivers license is only $10? I'm SO envious!! I just paid $50 last year for 5 years. Thankfully, we live in the middle of podunk and I didn't have to wait at all. :)